If you are studying a law degree, the earliest you can apply for a English Training Contract is in your penultimate year. For non-law students, you can apply from your final year. If you are applying for a Scottish Traineeship, the earliest you can apply is in your penultimate year of a law degree, or 1st year of the accelerated LLB.
We also accept applications from graduates, applicants studying the GDL / LPC / Scottish Accelerated LLB / Diploma in Legal Practice and career changers.
We are looking for more than consistently good academics, we value other experiences very highly too. This could include work experience, a part or full-time job, commerciality, travel, music, sport or culture.
Law requires a high level of intellect, but we look for candidates with strengths in other areas too, which is why our minimum academic criteria is CCC at 'A' level and a degree in any subject (or equivalents). Think about how you'll show evidence of the strengths you have in other areas on your application form.
Placement application process
- Submit your application before 28th February
- Notified during April if you have been successful
- Log on to our online system to accept your place
- Your Placement will be arranged in your office of choice
Training contract application process
- Submit your application before 30th June
- Notified during July if you are being progressed to the next stage
- Attend an Assessment Day between 26th - 29th July in our Birmingham office
- Notified shortly after whether you have been successful in securing a Training Contract.
We do not carry out any psychometric, verbal or numerical reasoning tests at application or assessment stage.
That might make a start at answering your question, but if you have any more have a look at our FAQ page, tweet our trainees directly at http://www.twitter.com/shoosmithsgrads or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org