Introduction to unfair dismissal
There are right and wrong ways to dismiss an employee. If you dismiss unfairly you could find yourself defending in an Employment Tribunal claim. The outcome could be costly not only in the compensation awarded but also in management time and legal fees. This is why it is important to understand what a fair dismissal process looks like.
This course explores what unfair dismissal is, potentially fair reasons for dismissal, what amounts to a fair dismissal process and when an employee can bring a claim of unfair dismissal.
Topics covered include
- Unfair dismissal - a statutory claim
- Conditions for unfair dismissal
- A fair procedure
- Burden of proof
What you will learn
- identify the relevant conditions for claims of unfair dismissal
- recognise when an employee's dismissal might be regarded as unfair
- anticipate the key areas an Employment Tribunal will consider in determining whether an employee's dismissal is fair
- describe a fair dismissal procedure
- see what remedies are available where a claim is successful
Who is this course for?
This course will be valuable for managers and anyone working in a human resource management capacity.