Alex is a Partner in the Technology, Media and Commercial team with a particular focus on advising clients in relation to the outsourcing of all aspects of their business-critical IT systems and related business functions, as well as wider technology-based commercial contracts, software licensing and information law.
Alex has an extensive track record of helping clients to develop and negotiate contracts for the delivery of complex, high-value technology transactions across a broad range of sectors, including for clients in central and local government, financial services, healthcare, gaming and aviation.
Alex works closely with client commercial and legal teams in delivering transactions, and has a detailed understanding of the key commercial drivers behind technology deployments.
Recent examples of transactions Alex has advised on include:
- Advising the UK government body delivering health and social care technology programmes on many aspects of its national IT systems and infrastructure contracts, including in relation to ‘NHSMail2’, one of the largest deployments of managed email services in the UK;
- Leading a team advising a major UK Building Society in relation to the second generation outsourcing of its savings and mortgage account software platform;
- Advising another leading UK Building Society in relation to contracts covering multiple aspects of its IT systems and infrastructure including the negotiation of terms relating to a high-value cloud service deployment, as well as a range of other business-critical IT agreements;
- advising on numerous major public sector IT contracts and procurements for UK Government, in particular in relation to the development, implementation and delivery of nationally significant benefits systems, and a £1bn BPO of the core administrative and payment systems underpinning the NHS in England;
- advising the largest police service in the UK on the negotiation of a contract relating to Application Maintenance and Support services, as part of the force’s wider IT transformation programme;
- Advising a global pharmaceutical and household product manufacturer in relation to its global outsourcing of its payroll systems;
- acting for a global airline group in relation to the negotiation of enterprise-wide software licensing arrangements with Oracle;
Alex joined Shoosmiths as a Partner in May 2017 having spent 14 years at DLA Piper, where he trained and qualified.