- T: 0207 205 7037
- I: +44 (0)207 205 7037
- M: +44 7711 192 851
"I was very impressed with his sensible, commercial approach to matters and I trust his judgement entirely."
Julie Bassi, former GC, Guoman Hotels
Ed is a Partner in Shoosmiths’ Property Litigation practice in London.
He has extensive experience of advising in relation to commercial real estate matters. His work encompasses a broad range of advice on prevention and resolution of real estate disputes as well as tactical advice on clients' real estate strategies. He has particular experience in the office, retail, hotel and leisure, data centre and business continuity real estate from both a landlord and tenant perspective. He has a strong track record of advising property developers on development issues and insolvency practitioners in property-related insolvency matters.
Ed has acted for:
· a UK clearing bank on the re-gearing of its Canary Wharf campus and resolution of the connected £multi-million dilapidations and service charge dispute
· a sovereign wealth fund in the acquisition by sale-and-manage-back of a landmark London hotel for £400m
· one of the world’s largest tech companies, giving advice and conducting asset-management of its UK business continuity real estate portfolio
· a major landed estate in a £multi-million dispute regarding restrictive covenants
· a 3C Waste Limited in the application of the landfill directive to an English law contract, reported in the case of 3C Waste Ltd v Mersey Waste Holdings Ltd & Anor  EWHC 2598
· the Metro Shopping Fund in the first reported case in which a landlord obtained the court’s permission for the landlord to forfeit following a pre-pack sale of the insolvent business by administrators Metro Nominees (Wandsworth) (No. 1) Limited and Others v K Rayment & Others  BCC 40
· an FTSE100 property company in obtaining vacant possession of a South London former retail site for development as a mixed use residential/commercial development – a vacant site was achieved six months ahead of schedule and 50% under budget
He is a Solicitor Advocate with higher rights of audience.
He is also a member of the German-British Chamber of Commerce and speaks fluent German.
Prior to joining Shoosmiths in August 2016, Ed was a research assistant in the Property and Trust Law team at the Law Commission of England and Wales, a partner at City firm Pritchard Englefield (now part of Irwin Mitchell) and a senior associate at the London offices of Jones Day and Hogan Lovells.
LLB (Hons) in English Law and German Law First Class honours with prizes ( University of Kent and Philipps Universität Marburg )
Legal Practice Course - Merit ( Nottingham Law School )