- T: 0370 086 5756
- I: +44 (0)161 954 5756
- M: +44 (0) 7753 300301
Scan this code with your phone to save my details.
What is this?
""a talented lawyer who can competently address commercial matters with a robust, pragmatic legal solution""
Kath is an experienced litigator with a particular focus on reputation management and helping clients when they are facing business critical crisis situations which might attract press headlines and impact on reputation and brand.
Kath assists with internal investigations and both internal & external communications, including with the media, guiding her clients to take control from the very start, to avoid pitfalls for the unwary and to optimize brand position, mitigate damage & positively influence outcomes.
The litigation/disputes Kath deals with typically arise in the context of commercial trading/supply/service contracts, shareholder, joint venture, agency and post-employment relationships, corporate acquisitions, commercial fraud, product liability and professional negligence. On the defamation side, Kath acts in trade libel cases and advises in relation to dealings with the media and defamation on the internet.
Kath’s focus is on understanding her clients’ key objectives and commercial drivers and tailoring strategies that will deliver those. On the reputation management side Kath strives to assume trusted advisor status and to really get to know her clients, their industry and their relationships with internal and external stakeholders and to leverage off those.
Dispute scenarios sometimes require recourse to court action including, where relevant, injunctive relief. In many cases, however, the focus is on facilitating an early commercial resolution, utilising ADR processes such as negotiation and Mediation. Across all cases however, the initial priority is to present a robust, optimum opening position from which to leverage the required outcome.
Some recent examples of Kath’s work include:
- guiding a client through an internal investigation into a serious, sensitive and highly newsworthy error in services; including helping to draft responses to press enquiries;
- acting for a client in relation to a proposed BBC "Watchdog" expose;
- guiding a client in the public eye involved in a reputational crisis including adverse media stories and related campaign activity; assisting with high level response strategy and drafting internal & external crisis comms, responses to press enquiries & correspondence to third party stakeholders;
- conduct of an ICC arbitration, defending a claim under contract following termination of a commercial trading relationship;
- procuring a payment of fair value for shares, for a minority shareholder, following unfairly prejudicial conduct;
- defending in Court an application for springboard injunctive relief;
- advising a variety of companies in relation to the unlawful marketing campaigns of their competitors (including trade libels), procuring undertakings and amendments to marketing literature;
Kath is a regular seminar speaker, and delivers training for companies and in-house teams, on a variety of topics including reputation management/defamation, contract management, litigation process and procedure, effective positioning in litigation, and use and misuse of social media.
Kath qualified as a lawyer in 1993 with Eversheds LLP, before joining Shoosmiths as a Partner in 2013.
LLB (hons) in Law 2:1 ( The University of Leeds )
Solicitors Finals Examination - 1st ( Chester College of Law )