- T: 03700 868802
- I: +44 (0)118 965 8802
- M: 07788 567087
Scan this code with your phone to save my details.
What is this?
""Practical and commercial" Kevin McCavish is "unbelievably commercial" and "knows the law inside out".
Kevin is the head of Shoosmiths' national employment law team and has 20 years of experience in providing legal support to HR teams. As well as providing pragmatic and commercial advice, Kevin ensures that the Shoosmiths employment team delivers a top quality service to all its clients.
Kevin has extensive UK and international experience and regularly advises clients on HR issues arising from complex organisational and structural changes including collective redundancies as well as on the sale and acquisition of businesses. Kevin also handles senior executive appointments and dismissals and frequently represents clients in high profile cases representing both employers and employees.
Kevin trained and qualified as a barrister and spent three years at the Bar. He has considerable contentious employment law experience, including appearances at the Employment Appeal Tribunal and higher courts. Kevin regularly represents clients in employment tribunal proceedings dealing with issues ranging from unfair dismissal and redundancy to lengthy and complex discrimination cases.
Examples of his recent work include:-
- acting in the well-publicised case of Elaine Day against HRH The Prince of Wales;
- defending the highest value (£1.5 million) gender reassignment case brought by Jessica Bussart;
- the highly publicised dispute between Mr Rollerson and Fujitsu Limited concerning alleged comments made about the implementation of the Government’s National Heath Service Database;
- representing a major political party on positive discrimination in favour of female political candidates;
- advising an asset management company on restraint of trade implications following a recent recruitment;
- advising the BBC on its relocation to Media City, Salford;
- advising a utilities company on a sensitive harassment claim lodged against a senior member of management; and
- advising an asset management company on the termination of senior executives.
Kevin regularly provides in-house training on employment law/practices/procedures to clients/HR managers and lectured at Cardiff Law School, the University of Wales. He also appeared on Legal Network Television. Kevin co-authored the Tolleys and Butterworths books: “Termination of Employment”, “Employment Law” and “Working Time”. He also edited Croners' “Employment Law and the European Union” and was appointed to their editorial board.
Kevin qualified at Clifford Chance and worked at Eversheds before joining Shoosmiths as a partner in 2002.
Kevin is ranked as "Leading Lawyer" and "Highly Recommended" in the Legal 500 and "Tier 1" in Chambers.