- T: 03700 867356
- I: +44 (0)113 881 7356
- M: +44 (0) 7711 769 475
"Matthew is described as "very sharp" and "disarmingly good"."
Matthew heads up the commercial litigation department in Leeds. He advises clients on a broad range of commercial disputes including shareholder and warranty claims, professional negligence, contractual disputes, defamation and financial services claims and pensions disputes. He has executed and defended search and seizure orders for clients, and acted as a court appointed supervising solicitor on the execution of such orders. He also has considerable experience in Judicial Review claims, most notably acting for the Plantagenet Alliance, descendants of King Richard III in their challenge over the burial of his remains located in Leicester, a case which attracted worldwide press interest and appeared regularly on local and national radio and television. He has experience of pursuing claims in the High Court and Court of Appeal, public inquiries and mediations for clients.
Recent Work includes
- Acting for the former Treasury and Risk Director of a PLC on a multimillion pound shareholder action group claim relating to a £200m Rights Issue and the subsequent suspension of trading in its shares.
- Acting for one of the largest Buy To Let Lenders in the country in multiple professional negligence claims against former solicitors.
- Acting for client on multi million pound mortgage portfolio investment recovery claim.
- Acting for major land owner on a claim relating to Natural England and its modification of consent regarding land practices on SSSI /SPA protected land including securing injunctive relief, successful Judicial Review and 5 week public inquiry.
- Acting for company pursuing former directors for breaches of confidential information when setting up competing company and securing multi million pound contract in competition with their former employer, requiring applications for injunctive relief and a two week trial.
Trained and qualified at Osborne Clarke in Bristol and London, and practised at Burges Salmon before becoming a partner at Gordons in Leeds for 14 years, heading up its 27 strong litigation department before joining Shoosmiths in May 2017. He is a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association and the Association of Pensions Lawyers.
Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law ( Bristol University )
Modern History ( Oxford University )