- T: 03700 868915
- I: +44 (0)118 965 8915
- M: 07525733922
Scan this code with your phone to save my details.
What is this?
"A standout name leading the excellent team in the South East"
Philip is a specialist compliance and criminal defence lawyer advising businesses and individuals on complying with the UK’s increasing regulatory burden. He balances the need for a sensible, calm approach to crisis management against the need to defend clients vigorously in disputes to gain effective outcomes. His experience helps to secure the right solution for clients in short timeframes, minimising cost and negative impact.
Philip advises clients during regulatory investigations be that making representations to the Advertising Standards Authority or in an interview under caution with police or the HSE following a fatal accident. He works in the automotive, construction, FMCG, retail & leisure, tobacco, manufacturing, and life sciences sectors.
Recent examples of his work include:-
- advising several global businesses on responses to investigations into bribery, fraud, criminal offences and disclosures to key regulators;
- securing the acquittal of a senior manager charged with health and safety offences as part of a corporate manslaughter trial following an explosion at a recycling plant;
- representing several companies in the transport industry on investigations by VOSA and during Public Inquiries before the Traffic Commissioner;
- successfully defending 4 different white goods manufacturers in a dozen different investigations by the National Measurement Office regarding energy labelling and efficiency of products;
- advising an international retailer on its response to the horsemeat scandal and dealing with associated contractual issues with suppliers;
- advising a major tobacco company on changes required under plain packaging legislation and the development of e-cigarettes;
- advising companies on compliance with export controls and international trade sanctions;
- advising a number of household brands on product recalls regarding tools, cereals, lamps, plugs and other domestic items; also advising on related product quality frauds in the supply chain; and
- advising a large travel organisation on compliance with Package Holiday, ATOL and ABTA regulations.
Having trained and qualified at DLA Piper, Philip moved from BLP to Shoosmiths’ Thames Valley Office in 2008: he was made partner in 2013. He has worked as a prosecutor for HSE and been seconded to the Tesco Store Ops and McDonald’s Legal Teams, giving him a genuinely hands-on, commercial approach to regulatory compliance. He is a member of the Food Law Group and the Health and Safety Lawyer’s Association.
Philip is described as a "standout name" in Legal 500 and he heads the ‘excellent team’ in the South East.
English Law and French Law Llb - 2nd Class Hons ( Universities of Manchester and Burgundy )