- T: 03700 867053
- I: +44 (0)207 205 7053
Scan this code with your phone to save my details.
What is this?
"Sherif Malak is `a consummate professional, who clearly cares deeply about providing an excellent service'"
Sherif is a publishing and digital media lawyer, advising clients on a broad range of intellectual property and IT transactions. He works with clients operating in the publishing, content, IT and media industries, as well as those digitally transitioning or developing their businesses, be they authors or publishers, agencies or brands, major retailers, online start-ups or established global enterprises.
Sherif’s work involves assisting clients navigate complex and developing areas of legal compliance including advertising and marketing, consumer and privacy and data protection law with a strong focus on new and emerging online technologies such as social media, cloud computing, e-commerce, Apps and online behavioural advertising.
Recent projects on which Sherif has worked include:
- advising an innovative online fashion marketplace on its compliance with UK consumer rights law;
- drafting the standard terms of supply for cloud-based services provided by a leading mobile workforce software solutions provider;
- advising on legal compliance issues in relation to Pottermore, the digital home of the Harry Potter books;
- drafting an App development framework agreement for the development of a broad range of Apps and App-related content and services for a major global publisher;
- advising an established high street and e-commerce retailer on data security breaches;
- drafting and negotiating an agile software development contract for the development of a web-based golf academy management platform;
- conducting rights clearance verification in relation to a popular animated children’s TV series;
- drafting and negotiating App development agreements featuring branding and content based on a number of UK celebrities;
- producing template contracts for a learned society for the sale of translation rights to its best practice guidelines for overseas publication in print and electronic form.
Sherif delivers in-house legal briefings for clients and lectures on publishing law to masters students at University College London. He is a member of the Society for Computers & Law.
Sherif trained with US firm in London between 2007 and 2009. He moved to boutique publishing and digital media specialists Laurence Kaye Solicitors in 2010 before joining Shoosmiths in 2013.
BA (Hons) Economics & Politics ( University of York )
LLB (Hons) Law ( College of Law/Open University )
LLM IP, IT & Media Law ( University of Edinburgh )
MA Middle East Politics ( University of Durham )