- T: 0370 086 5879
- I: +44 (0)161 954 5879
- M: 07850200493
Scan this code with your phone to save my details.
What is this?
"Stephen is highly knowledgeable. A real professional who is approachable, straightforward and direct"
Stephen leads a team primarily focused on all aspects of consumer finance, and small and medium ticket asset finance and leasing. This includes a nationally recognised expertise in wholesale and retail motor finance, together with niche products such as pay day lending, timeshare, and shared equity schemes.
Examples of recent work handled by Stephen includes advising:
- Danske Bank in relation to all aspects of compliance with the Consumer Credit Directive regime. This covered all regulated consumer products, including credit cards, charge cards, personal loans, overdrafts, bridging and investment housing loans together with all advertising and statementing requirements;
- Santander Consumer (UK) plc in respect of all aspects of its compliance with the Consumer Credit Directive. This included all product design (hire purchase, conditional sale, motor loan), advertising, statementing and integration into the existing company IT infra-structure;
- Santander Consumer (UK) Plc in relation to a new employee car scheme, the first of its kind in the UK;
a major UK energy provider in relation to its participation in the UK Government sponsored Green Deal, giving consumers access to 'green' technology so they can reduce their energy consumption and carbon footprint;
- a major UK motor finance house on the conclusion of a £300m forward flow debt-sale agreement;
- a major UK bank in connection with satisfactory quality and fitness for purpose disputes; more particularly, the enforceability of exclusion clauses purporting to limit liability in a leasing agreement;
- a very high profile consumer finance provider in relation to its dispute with the ASA over the interpretation of the Consumer Credit (Advertisements) Regulations 2010.
Stephen has worked in the financial services sector throughout his career, and is a well known personality, being a regular speaker at trade events, and a trade press commentator. Stephen approaches this technically challenging - and potentially intimidating - sector with a view to simplification, and is known for his eye for detail.
Stephen is admitted in both Northern Ireland and England and Wales, and holds an LLb (Hons) Exempting with French Law from the University of Northumbria.
LLb (Hons) Exempting with French Law ( University of Northumbria )