Shoosmiths regularly advises both franchisees and franchisors on high profile franchise arrangements.
The deals our franchising specialists have completed can be seen throughout the country, on the high street, and even motorway service areas, with the presence of WHSmith stores in motorway service stations at Welcome Break and Moto.
On behalf of Moto, we negotiated the expansion of the M&S franchises and Costa Coffee outlets at its service stations. Even a chocolate treat at chocolatiers Thorntons is brought to the high street through an extensive franchising arrangement constructed by our experts.
Our team understands that franchising is an excellent way for established businesses to expand into new territories and to increase brand awareness, without taking all the risks associated with organic growth. It also offers a great model for smaller businesses to use an established platform from which to grow a successful franchise operation both nationally and internationally.
Many of our lawyers also have specialist knowledge of the retail sector, having advised nationally recognised retailers in a range of areas.
Our franchising clients include:
- Alliance Boots
- TK Maxx
- Fenn Wright Mason
- LK Bennett
- Marston's (as franchisor) - in connection with the development and roll out of an innovative franchise arrangement for the public house sector
- Roadchef (as franchisee) - in its hotel management franchise with the owner of the Days Inn brand (Wyndham)
- WHSmith (as franchisee) - in relation to a national franchising project which saw WHSmith stores being rolled out across circa 50 Moto and 30 Welcome Break motorway service stations across the UK
- Mortgage Advice Bureau (as franchisor) - in respect of the development and roll out of a heavily regulated mortgage advice format franchise business
- Thorntons (as franchisor) - in connection with the development and roll out of a master franchise operation throughout the UK