Specialist sector. Specialist advice.
If you provide telecommunication infrastructure and services, including providing sites for telecoms equipment, cable routes or other infrastructure, or you are a fixed line operator we can help you maximise your income stream and minimise your risk.
Shoosmiths has established a reputation as expert legal advisers in the telecommunications sector.
We act for institutional landowners, local authorities, educational and health establishments, major corporate companies, housing authorities and some of the leading specialist providers of site infrastructure in the UK. We also act for fixed line operators, data centre operators and their funders.
If you require advice in connection to this sector, please contact us. We can help on a wide range of issues, with particular expertise on the following:
- property portfolio management for site providers - grant of leases, site share agreements, grant of additional equipment rights, network consolidation issues stemming from the MBNL and CTIL networks
- obtaining vacant possession from operators and also securing occupation for fixed line operators - including strategic advice, service of Electronic Communications Code notices, consent orders;
interpretation and application of the Electronic Communications Code
- health and safety obligations
- planning obligations
- advice relating to obtaining a Direction from OFCOM
- advice on all types of commercial contracts including Income Rights Agreements, Portfolio Headleases and Wayleaves
Why you should contact us
Our team is recognised as experts within the sector.
We regularly speak at independent conferences and assisted the Law Commission with their review of the law relating to this sector.
It provides timely, cost-effective and up-to-date commercial advice on the latest trends in the sector.
Our team also works with clients outside of this sector, so you can benefit from a wide range of commercial experience from different markets.
- managing the 300-plus telecoms site portfolio of a utility company alongside the income rights owner
- assisting a Health Authority obtain vacant possession of mast sites via Code notices and court orders to enable a multi billion pound urban regeneration project to proceed
- advising a fixed line operator with regards retaining occupation of a site and subsequently set up precedent documentation to facilitate the roll out of its network
- re-gearing the telecoms site portfolios of numerous clients following the MBNL network consolidation project, including for institutional landowners, housing associations and local authorities
- assisting a national infrastructure company dispute the value to be paid for occupational rights by a telecoms operator
- advising on Income Rights Agreements entered into between utility companies and site infrastructure companies
- assisting a national infrastructure company successfully apply for "Code Powers" from OFCOM
- advising a data centre operator and its funder in relation to its Code rights and obligations