Consumer credit regulation
"Our team prides itself on its overall approachability, which is reflected in the legal directories, who say of partner Stephen Dawson: Stephen Dawson is highly knowledgeable. A real professional who is approachable, straightforward and direct."
The regulatory backdrop for lenders has become inescapably convoluted and complicated.
The risks associated with non-compliance have also become particularly severe.
It is in response to these demands that we have invested considerable time and effort in bringing together a team that understands the issues from the inside out, whether through secondment or having worked in-house.
Nationally recognised as a leading team in its field, every effort is made to find simple and straightforward solutions to often complex and challenging problems.
Whether the issue relates to the regulation of credit advertising, drafting agreements, terms and conditions, lending processes or policies/procedures, we are in an ideal position to advise our clients.
- Advising major high street banks and finance houses on full compliance with the consumer credit directive (including credit and charge cards, personal loans, bridging loans, hire purchase, conditional sale and motor loans)
- Providing ongoing advice to clients as to the potential impact of the Financial Services Bill, insofar as it applies to consumer credit
- Offering a credit advertising compliance team to major motor finance houses
- Advising on the implementation of the National Loan Guarantee Scheme for one scheme participant, in relation to regulated lending
- Successfully challenging the Advertising Standards Authority on the technical interpretation of prevailing advertising legislation
Niche areas of expertise include payday lending, vehicle, and energy/renewable- based asset finance.