If you are studying a law degree, the earliest you can apply for a English training contract is in your penultimate year. For non-law students, you can apply from your final year. If you are applying for a Scottish traineeship, the earliest you can apply is in your penultimate year of a law degree, or 1st year of the accelerated LLB.
We also accept applications from graduates, applicants studying the GDL / LPC / Scottish Accelerated LLB / Diploma in Legal Practice and career changers.
We are looking for more than academics
We are looking for more than consistently good academics, we value other experiences very highly too. This could include work experience, a part or full-time job, commerciality, travel, music, sport or culture.
We want to recruit the very best talent, but we know that academics aren’t the only measure of success. Law requires a high level of intellect, but we look for candidates with strengths in other areas too, which is why our minimum academic criteria is CCC at 'A' level and a degree in any subject (or equivalents). Think about how you'll show evidence of the strengths you have in other areas on your application form.
- Placement application process
- Submit your application before 28th February
- Notified during March if you have been successful and invited to an online video interview
- Notified during April if you have been successful
- Log on to our online system to accept your place
- Your Placement will be arranged in your office of choice
- Training contract application process
- Submit your application before 31st May 2020
- Notified during May/June if you have been successful and invited to an online video interview
- Notified during June if you are being progressed to the assessment day
- Attend an Assessment Day between 30th June – 4th July 2020 across Manchester and Birmingham
- Notified early July if you have been successful in securing a Training Contract
We do not carry out any psychometric, verbal or numerical reasoning tests at application or assessment stage.
COVID-19 - We’re closely monitoring this challenging situation and expect there to be some changes or postponement to our assessment process, please refer back to this page as we will post continuous updates regarding this matter. We hope you will understand that we cannot be any clearer at this point in time given the pace of change around us, but we will be in touch as soon as plans have been confirmed.
Everyone who submits an application, video interview or attends an assessment centre will receive communication about the outcome of your application.
Shoosmiths reserve the right to close the application form earlier if all places have been successfully filled, therefore we advise you to submit your application for a summer vacation placement and training contract as soon as possible.