This year Shoosmiths are excited to introduce video interviewing as a brand new stage to the assessment process. For many, this could be a daunting prospect but with our top tips you can utilise this platform to portray your personality and convince us why you deserve a training contract.
A video interview will follow the successful completion of an application form and could be the driving force behind receiving an invitation to attend a placement/ assessment centre.
The four pre –recorded competency questions will not only test your ability to answer questions verbally, in a succinct way but will provide an additional stage for you to portray your personality and demonstrate how you align with Shoosmiths’ values. A video interview can be an unnerving prospect, so preparation is key.
The following top tips should ensure you maximise the opportunity to be noticed by the graduate recruitment team and make a great impression.
Choose an appropriate setting
- Ensure you record the video in a quiet room, free from distractions or noise
- Consider your appearance and what you wear
- Aim to record the video in front of a plain/simple background
- The software will test if you have a good internet connection and if the microphone is picking up your voice efficiently but don’t forget to ensure you have sufficient battery
- Make sure the room is well lit but that the light doesn’t dazzle you when you look into the camera
- Set your laptop or phone up at a good height (eyes level with the camera) that is natural to look directly into
Practice makes perfect!
- Ensure you read through your application form prior to recording the video to ensure your answers remain consistent
- Spend time researching the firm and ensure your desire for a legal career is apparent
- The more comfortable you feel talking into a camera the better. Practice by talking into a mirror or your phone to become comfortable with interacting with a lens
- Make the most of the practice questions. Record and play back several answers until the process feels natural to you
- During the video you can blur your screen so you are not distracted by your own image
Consider your body language
- Although you are not directly communicating with a recruiter or responding to their social cues, you need to maintain eye contact throughout and ensure your demeanour is confident and positive
- Sit comfortably but upright and try not to move too much or fidget
- Ensure you remain engaged throughout and listen carefully to questions
Let us see the real you
- The key intention for the video is to provide a chance to bring your application form to life and for us to get to know you
- Have confidence and try to keep nerves under control
- Treat the experience like a face to face interview (or a rehearsal for an interview on the assessment day)
To hear further advice then read Brendan’s blog as he shares how first impressions lead to lasting impressions.
If you’d like to apply for a summer vacation placement or training contract at Shoosmiths, click here.
For anything else you, you can contact the graduate recruitment team via twitter or email.