"He is a "cutting-edge" environmental lawyer with a fine transactional and regulatory practice. He is particularly well known for his work on energy and real estate transactions. One commentator states: "He is extremely competent and has a fantastically high level of knowledge.""
Angus is an experienced environmental lawyer whose practice covers all aspects of environmental law from contaminated land to waste, climate change, renewables, nuisance, water pollution and asbestos. He also has expertise in related areas such as energy and health & safety. He advises developers and operators of, and investors in, infrastructure, real estate and other businesses on transactional, regulatory and contentious issues, regularly working alongside corporate, real estate, commercial, regulatory, projects and EU/competition teams.
Angus’s recent experience includes advising:
- A Chinese investor on environmental and regulatory issues relating to its proposed investment in the UK’s nuclear new build programme.
- Various private equity and real estate funds on their participation in the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme and the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme.
- A US real estate fund on the environmental aspects of its £120 million sale of a strategic land development business with over 20 sites across the UK at various stages in the development cycle.
- A major landowner on the negotiation of a complex environmental agreement with Thames Water as part of the Thames Tideway Tunnel Project.
- A major real estate investment fund on environmental liabilities arising following the insolvency of a waste management business tenant and on the structuring of a subsequent deal to sell the site.
Angus has led Shoosmiths’ environmental practice since 2016, having joined the firm from King & Wood Mallesons (formerly SJ Berwin).
He is one of the Convenors of the UK Environmental Law Association’s Waste Working Party and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. He is also a member of the British Standards Institution’s Committee on Sustainable Resource Management.
BA (Hons) in Combined Social Sciences: 1st ( Durham University )
LLM in Environmental Law: Merit ( De Montfort University, Leicester )