Charles is a senior associate in the corporate department’s restructuring and insolvency team. Specialising in all aspects of non contentious restructuring and insolvency, he advises banks, insolvency practitioners, company directors and creditors on all aspects of the insolvency process.
Charles advises on disposals and acquisitions of businesses and assets out of administration and administrative receivership, as well as advising major banks, asset based lenders and other lenders in connection with security reviews and enforcement of security. Charles also advises office holders in connection with the validity of their appointment.
Charles has recently finished a 9 month secondment with the Global Restructuring Group of RBS.
Charles’ notable experience includes:
- advising the administrators of the Sealine group of companies
- advising EFB Retail Limited in connection with its acquisition of certain of the business and assets of Oddbins Limited - in administration
- advising Aldermore Bank plc in connection with its high value acquisition of the business and assets of Heritable Asset Finance Limited – in administration
- advising Duff & Phelps in connection with the administration of Vergo Retail Limited, a 20 branch department store chain, including the well known branches of Lewis’s of Liverpool and Robbs at Hexham
- advising EFB Retail Limited in connection with its purchase of the business and assets of the Wine Cellar Limited, by way of a pre-pack administration
Having graduated with a degree in European Law from the University of Warwick and the University of Lille, Charles completed his LPC at Nottingham Law School before undertaking his training contract at Boyes Turner Solicitors, where he qualified in 2001. Having previously worked at Eversheds and Cobbetts, Charles joined Shoosmiths in 2008.