"I've watched Hayley on a Workplace Law video on 40 years of Health and Safety at Work Act. I'm very impressed with content and delivery. Particularly impressed with the references to generic risk assessments and procedures. "
Messam & Rider Ltd
Hayley is a specialist regulatory criminal defence lawyer advising leading companies, directors and individuals on all aspects of regulatory compliance across a range of sectors including retail, food, manufacturing and construction.
Her extensive experience includes investigations and prosecutions in areas as diverse as corporate and gross negligence manslaughter; health and safety; fire safety; inquests; waste management and environmental matters; trading standards; food safety; advertising compliance and sales promotions; and anti-bribery legislation.
Hayley advises at all stages of the criminal investigation including crisis management; interviews under caution; appeals against enforcement notices and conducts her own advocacy in the criminal and Coroners’ courts.
Hayley provides robust and pragmatic commercial advice and her recent work includes:
- defending a national shop fitting company in relation to an accident at work whereby a shop fascia fatally injured an employee;
- representing a supported living and care home provider throughout the health and safety investigations and inquest into the death of two service users;
- successfully appealed a Fees for Intervention Invoice and two Improvement Notices in relation to safe working practices on a construction site;
- advising a global fast food company in relation to a trade effluent discharge investigation by a water utility provider;
- successfully avoided prosecution for a global retailer following a Trading Standards investigation into the sale of electrical items;
- advising a national solar energy company in relation to an investigation by RECC into misleading practices;
- representing a company director in relation to 3 deaths arising from a Legionnaires Disease outbreak.
Hayley qualified in 2005 and joined Shoosmiths in 2007 from Greenwoods LLP where she provided extensive regulatory advice to Network Rail. Hayley has spent time on secondment at the McDonald's legal team and has experience of prosecuting on behalf of government authorities and private prosecutors giving her a great insight into the different considerations from 'both sides of the fence'.
Hayley is an active member of the Health and Safety Lawyers Association, Food Law Group and the UK Environmental Law Association. Hayley regularly speaks at public events including the Safety Expo at London ExCeL in 2015. Hayley is currently part of the research team at Cranfield University undertaking a study on Safety Leadership in Low Hazard Environments.
Hayley is praised in the legal directory Chambers UK for her 'approachability, professional support and knowledge' and in Legal 500 as being ‘tenacious and knowledgeable’.