Ian is a construction lawyer with some 25 years experience. He has advised on various large projects, with a particular emphasis on power stations and process plants. His wide experience means that he is well-equipped to guide employers, contractors and consultants through the construction phase and beyond. He is experienced in adjudication and all other form of dispute resolution. He has been ranked in the legal directories for many years. Legal 500 describes him as a “tremendous asset as an adviser and litigator”.
His recent experience includes:
- Acting for a substantial contractor on a time and money claim, in which a multi-million pound sum was awarded in adjudication
- Guiding a university through a lengthy dispute with its FM contractor
- Advising a project management company on a complex High Court claim
- Acting for a health sector developer in an extension of time adjudication
- Defending a sub-contractor in an arbitration that was then resolved by mediation
Ian joined Shoosmiths’ construction and engineering team in 2017 having previously been a partner at Wragge and Co (now Gowling WLG) for 10 years.
He is a regional organiser for the Society of Construction Law in Birmingham, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Civil Engineering Surveyors, and a member of the Technology and Construction Court Solicitor’s Association (Tecsa). He writes regularly in “Building” magazine.