John is an associate in the Dispute Resolution and Compliance team with considerable experience of dealing with claims in the County Courts, High Court and Appeal Courts as well as all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration. John advises clients in various sectors on a wide range of matters including general contractual disputes, corporate and shareholder claims and procurement challenges.
His recent experience includes:
- Currently representing a well-known insurance company in relation to a contractual claim against the directors of an insolvent building company worth in excess of £1 million following a defective property development;
- Advising a globally renowned client in the travel sector on the termination of a sponsorship agreement relating to a high profile event in the entertainment industry;
- Successfully obtaining an indemnity on behalf of a construction company at trial in connection with a property damage claim in excess of £1 million;
- Acting for a number of clients in relation to public procurement challenges against contractual authorities as a result of breaches of obligations under the Public Contracts Regulations 2015 and enforceable EU law; and
- Advising various clients in relation to the termination of commercial agreements and liabilities under the Commercial Agents Regulations 1993.
John is also highly regarded in the sports sector and is a senior member of Shoosmiths’ sports law group specialising in contentious, regulatory and disciplinary issues for teams, governing bodies, agencies and athletes.
His expertise and experience in the sports sector includes:
- Advising football clubs on the registration and transfer of players including drafting transfer agreements and player contracts as well as providing specific advice on regulatory compliance at a national and international level;
- Sports related disputes in the civil courts and arbitration tribunals such as FIFA’s Dispute Resolution Chamber and the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
- Acting for a client in the motorsport sector in injunction and damages proceedings worth in excess £20 million;
- Advising the new owners of Salford Red Devils on the Rugby Football League’s various regulatory requirements for club takeovers including its fit and proper persons test;
- Dealing with various appeals within his role as an appeal committee member for the International Powerlifting Federation; and
- Advising a high profile sports club in relation to a dispute against the sports’ governing body.
John regularly appears in the media commenting on sports law issues including BBC News and BBC Radio 5 Live and provides updates on Twitter (see @fc_legal). John is also a member of the British Association for Sport and Law and the Sport Resolutions’ Pro Bono Legal Advice List.
John joined Shoosmiths from Blake Morgan LLP in February 2016.
LLB (Hons) Law ( Oxford Brookes University )
Legal Practice Course ( Oxford Institute of Legal Practice )