JP is a Partner in the Technology, Media and Commercial team, specialising in privacy, data protection and procurement. JP undertakes a wide range of information law work including data protection, cybersecurity, e-commerce, direct marketing and freedom of information - and has a range of clients in the aviation, retail and technology sectors, as well as charities and the public sector.
He also has extensive experience in IT and BPO outsourcing and educational ICT, overlapping with his data privacy practice.
JP’s practice includes:
- advising on and reviewing data protection compliance strategies, including for the ever-evolving General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) with global retailers, a leading regulated London financial services institution, major global and regional airlines and airports, website and technology operators and public sector bodies and charities;
- dealing with data breach prevention, mitigation and follow-up;
- dealing with data subject rights requests including data subject access requests (DSARs or SARs), the right to be forgotten / right of erasure and much more;
- providing training at all levels of client organisations - including on the new EU General Data Protection Regulation and compliance strategies - ensuring that they take a global compliance approach and ensure that teams working in even countries with little or no regulation are aware of the rules which apply elsewhere and are likely to impact their operations;
- advising EU-based companies on their expansion plans into other territories, and equally advising non-EU based companies and groups on their data privacy and procurement compliance regimes when entering into the EU market; and
- advising on e-commerce terms, direct marketing approaches and website compliance, co-ordinating all this to produce single form universally acceptable privacy policies and procedures; and
- procuring, negotiating and managing outsourced contracts, including for major public sector bodies and charities, the highlight being a successful renegotiation of a contentious £3bn health data services contract.
JP joined Shoosmiths as a Partner in May 2017 having spent over 14 years at DLA Piper, where he trained and qualified.