Lisa is a partner and joint-head of Shoosmiths’ Planning and Environment team, driving the team’s growth forward across the UK.
An experienced planning lawyer, she acts on a broad range of contentious and non-contentious planning matters, including compulsory purchase work, drafting and negotiating complex Section 106 agreements, judicial review, footpath/highway closures, infrastructure agreements and village green issues.
She has acted for a mix of public and private clients, including DCLG, North West Development Agency, Ainscough Strategic Land, Vastint, Royal Borough of Kingston, Bolton Council, Bellway and Story Homes.
Her recent project experience includes advising:
- Ainscough Strategic Land on a planning appeal and public inquiry relating to a 2600 unit scheme in Swindon;
- Vastint on the redevelopment of the former Tetley Brewery site on Leeds South Bank to provide a major new mixed use scheme including delivery of a new City Park for Leeds;
- Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames on their major regeneration scheme at the Cambridge Road Estate involving the proposed delivery of 2000 new homes;
- Bolton Council on the redevelopment of the Church Wharf site including advice on the use of CPO powers;
- Working with the Select group on a number of city centre residential schemes including PRS, student accommodation and market sale deals.
Lisa joined Shoosmiths in 2013, having previously worked at Eversheds, DWF and Semple Fraser. She spent the first 8 years of her career working in-house for local authorities including Birmingham City Council and the London Borough of Hounslow – a mix of public and private experience that clients find invaluable, as it provides empathy, insights and scope for innovation for projects at the public/private interface.
She is identified as a Leading Individual for Planning legal work in the 2019 editions of Legal 500 and Chambers UK, the latter stating: “Interviewees laud her as "a really hard-working and clever lawyer who finds her way around complex problems."
Impressed clients add: "She is great to work with – she breaks things down into plain English and doesn’t baffle with detail. She is also very personable and pleasant, and very good at what she does."