"Matthew Brown is named as a recommended lawyer in the 2017 edition of Legal 500, with clients describing him as "proactive" "
Matt is an experienced commercial litigator with a proven track record conducting heavyweight litigation with a particular emphasis in the following core areas:
- Contractual and supply chain disputes;
- Insurance litigation and policy disputes;
- Corporate and shareholder disputes;
- Product liability and property damage disputes;
- IT disputes; and
- Building disputes and professional negligence claims.
Matt has a particularly strong reputation in the insurance, retail and technology sectors and works with a number of leading white goods manufacturers and insurance companies including Hoover Candy Group and MD Insurance Services.
Matt combines an analytical approach with an ability to understand his clients’ key objectives and commercial drivers to develop strategies that achieve the best possible results for his clients.
In some cases this requires recourse to court action including, where relevant, urgent injunctive relief. In many cases, however, the focus is on facilitating an early commercial resolution, utilising ADR processes such as negotiation and mediation. Across all cases however, the initial priority is to present a robust, optimum opening position from which to leverage the required outcome.
Recent work handled by Matt includes:
- extracting a global healthcare company from a high value product liability claim relating to fire damage;
- successfully defending a multi-million pound professional negligence claim relating to an allegedly defective lift;
- securing a significant payout for a developer in connection with an insurance policy coverage dispute concerning a right to light claim;
- representing the sellers in relation to a complex post-share sale dispute involving multiple claims and counterclaims;
- achieving a settlement for an international food testing group in relation to a technical IT services dispute.
Matt has spent three months working on secondment with a leading global leisure travel PLC.
After studying at Durham University and the University of Law, Matt joined Shoosmiths in September 2012 and qualified as a Solicitor in September 2014.
BA (hons) in English Literature class 1 ( Durham University )
LLB (hons) in Law class 1 ( College of Law )