"Michael Briggs is well versed in a full range of employment law matters but in particular focuses on tribunal claims. "We have a very strong relationship with him - he acts like an extension of our team," notes one very satisfied client."
Michael is an experienced employment lawyer who provides practical, commercial and results-driven advice to a wide range of local and national clients on the whole spectrum of human resources and employment law.
In particular, Michael provides day to day advice in respect of disciplinary and grievance matters, redundancy and restructures, absence and performance issues and drafts a wide range of employment related documentation, including contracts of employment, apprenticeship agreements, settlement agreements, director’s service agreements, self-employed consultancy agreements, and a wide range of employment policies and procedure.
Michael has a specific interest in dealing with senior level exits on behalf of commercial organisations and defending Employment Tribunal claims; working at all times in partnership with his HR and senior management client teams and individual clients.
Work of note includes:
- continued instruction from a client within the tyre and vehicle service industry for in excess of ten years;
- the successful defence in the Employment Tribunal to a complaint of unfair dismissal brought against a client in the service industry (Michael conducts his own advocacy in the Employment Tribunal and has successfully represented a number of clients at Preliminary Hearings and full Tribunal Hearings);
- the beneficial conclusion to lengthy settlement negotiations on behalf of a client who was defending claims of constructive unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, breach of contract and disability discrimination;
- the successful conclusion and defence to claims of race discrimination and breaches of the Agency Workers Regulations 2010 following a multi-day hearing;
- dealing with litigation within both the Employment Tribunal and the High Court in response to claims of constructive unfair dismissal and breaches of post termination restrictions.
Michael is part of the firm’s Data Protection Team, and is experienced in dealing with all associated data protection issues in the human resource arena.
Michael also works closely with the Leicestershire Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) and regularly presents employment law and HR related forums, seminars and training sessions.
Michael qualified as a Solicitor in September 2006, and joined Shoosmiths in May 2013.
LLB (Hons) 2:1 ( De Montfort University, Leicester )
LPC ( Nottingham Law School )