"Simon was an excellent trainer - he checked expectations/issues at the start and reviewed at the end and addressed all the issues."
Training session for The Open University
Simon is an experienced employment specialist who works with both the private and public sector in relation to contentious and non-contentious work. He provides advice to a number of large commercial clients, many of whom are household names, on all aspects of employment law. Simon has many years of experience working with public sector clients and is the main contact for employment work with a local university as well as other public sector organisations.
As a keen negotiator and pragmatist, Simon has achieved great success in bringing an end to claims which have little or no merit through a range of measures including an agreement to review a contentious policy, appropriate use of cost warnings and firm negotiation techniques. Simon is renowned for delivering advice in a straightforward and easy to understand manner and his down to earth approach puts clients and witnesses at ease.
His recent work includes:
- advising a public sector client in relation to nationally sensitive age discrimination litigation;
- assisting a private sector organisation with a multi-level redundancy and restructuring process;
- advising a higher education client in defending claims presented for less favourable treatment under the fixed term employee legislation;
- pre-contract negotiations to TUPE clauses;
- support to the corporate team with M&A work.
Simon writes and provides training sessions for clients on a range of subjects and is a regular speaker at Shoosmiths' national employment seminars both locally and recently with the Edinburgh Team.
Having qualified as a solicitor in 2002, Simon joined Shoosmiths in 2007, was promoted to Associate in May 2010 and Senior Associate in May 2013.