The marine team advises banks, financial institutions and private individuals on the financing of newly-delivered, under-construction and previously owned yachts and commercial vessels, in Red Ensign and elsewhere. We offer expertise in dealing with complex issues in marine finance, including those relating to offshore ownership structures and leasing schemes designed for tax mitigation.
We advise on marine finance transactions in relation to the acquisition of vessels from superyachts to tug boats and transfer vessels, including advising on standard form and bespoke marine loans, statutory mortgages and ancillary deeds of covenant (and other forms of security).
Shoosmiths' aviation practice is ranked 'Top Tier' in the South East by Legal 500.
We advise banks, financial institutions, flag carriers and private individuals on aviation finance and leasing transactions from the financing, leasing, chartering, acquisition and disposal of private aircraft, helicopters and engines to the leasing of commercial aircraft, including advising on standard form and bespoke aviation loans, mortgages and security agreements.
Our rail finance & leasing team has acted for a wide range of rail industry bodies, such as rolling stock manufacturers, leasing companies and operators (passenger and freight).
We advise rail industry clients on a full range of services, including the procurement and leasing of new rolling stock and ticketing and gating equipment (including in connection with EU procurement legislation).
We are members of British Marine, Superyacht UK, the British Business and General Aviation Association and the British Helicopter Association.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising a marine finance lender on the financing and security documents in relation to the acquisition of a Sunseeker 131 Yacht flagged in the Cayman Islands
- Advising a client on its acquisition and financing of a Spirit sailing yacht
- Advising a client on the bareboat chartering arrangements of several work boats
- Advising a client on the acquisition and financing of a Pilatus aircraft
- Advising an aviation finance lender on the financing and security documents in relation to the acquisition of a Rolls Royce jet engine
- Advising a Finnish bank on the sale of a Eurocopter to an Irish reseller of commercial aircraft and helicopters for export to the US
- Advising a flag carrier on the purchase of an Airbus A320 from a global aircraft lessor
- Advising Porterbrook on its framework agreement with Bombardier Transportation for the fitment of the European Train Control System to its electrostar fleet
- Advising a rolling stock operating company on their rolling stock leases to East Midlands Trains on the East Midlands franchise
- Advising a rolling stock operating company on their rolling stock leases to KeolisAmey on the Wales & Borders franchise
Marine aviation & rail finance is part of Shoosmiths’ wider banking & finance offering. If you would like help finding the right team or lawyer please contact us on +44 (0)3700 863 000 or contact us by email to [email protected].