The marine team advises banks, financial institutions and private individuals on the financing of newly-delivered, under-construction and previously owned yachts and commercial vessels, in Red Ensign and elsewhere. We offer expertise in dealing with complex issues in marine finance, including those relating to offshore ownership structures and leasing schemes designed for tax mitigation.
We advise on marine finance transactions in relation to the acquisition of vessels from superyachts to tug boats and transfer vessels, including advising on standard form and bespoke marine loans, statutory mortgages and ancillary deeds of covenant (and other forms of security).
We are members of British Marine and Superyacht UK.
Shoosmiths' aviation practice is ranked 'Top Tier' in the South East by Legal 500.
We advise banks, financial institutions, flag carriers and private individuals on aviation finance and leasing transactions from the financing, leasing, chartering, acquisition and disposal of private aircraft, helicopters and engines to the leasing of commercial aircraft, including advising on standard form and bespoke aviation loans, mortgages and security agreements.
Our rail finance & leasing team has acted for a wide range of rail industry bodies, such as rolling stock manufacturers, leasing companies and operators (passenger and freight).
We advise rail industry clients on a full range of services, including the procurement and leasing of new rolling stock and ticketing and gating equipment (including in connection with EU procurement legislation).
Recent experience includes:
- Advising a marine finance lender on its marine loan, statutory mortgage and ancillary deed of covenants in respect of a Cayman Islands flagged superyacht to a high net worth individual
- Advising a special purpose vehicle on its acquisition and financing of a British flagged motor yacht under construction
- Advising a Finnish bank on the sale of a Eurocopter to an Irish reseller of commercial aircraft and helicopters for export to the US
- Advising a flag carrier on the purchase of an Airbus A320 from a global aircraft lessor
- Advising a flag carrier on the sale of a fleet of 10 Avro RJ100s to a Canadian jet maintenance company
- Advising an education institution on the leasing of an aircraft from a government entity for the purposes of carrying out atmospheric research, including operating lease and maintenance arrangements
- Advising a rolling stock operating company on their rolling stock leases to East Midlands Trains on the East Midlands franchise
- Advising a rolling stock operating company on their rolling stock leases to KeolisAmey on the Wales & Borders franchise
- Advising a rolling stock operating company on the procurement and installation of ETCS equipment to be fitted to its rolling stock
- Advising a manufacturer on bids for the supply of rolling stock to train operating companies as part of a new franchise tender