As part of our series of webinars to support Business Leaders during the current pandemic, on 15 April we hosted a webinar looking at how you manage and lead remotely when the world consistently shifts.
Coronavirus COVID-19 is a crisis unlike any other we have faced as a country, presenting a new and varied set of challenges to UK and global businesses.
Based on what you’ve told us is most pertinent to you in the current climate, we have devised a series of webinars aimed at you, business leaders, to look at the implications of the outbreak. In this webinar we focused on how you manage and lead remotely when the world consistently shifts. Below are our key tips and takeaways.
Presence: Using your voice
With virtual meetings the ‘new norm’ we have to rely on our voice to reach out and communicate with individuals and teams. We need to think carefully about how we use it to create a feeling of safety, trust and confidence.
- Take a deep breath
- Use the full range of tones in your voice
- Think about what the message being delivered means for the recipients
- Craft your delivery – think about the words or phrases – will they cause offence or upset
- Practice your message (where possible record and replay – listening as if you were your audience)
- Minimise distractions and, if they happen, acknowledge them!
Using your leadership skills
Emotional Intelligence is so important at this time. Make sure you take time to listen, to empathise and to be self aware of your own emotions.
- Pause and check in on your own emotions
- Have an awareness of self and those around you
- Listen not for just the words, but notice the emotion and also what hasn’t been said
- Be a social anthropologist
- Empower others and work with a belief of trust
- Be Human!
Be the best leader you can...
The world is changing quickly and leaders must practice and adapt old skills but also learn new skills in order to be effective. Whatever happens in the future, resilience is only built by adaptation, practice and time.
- Self-awareness is key – pause, check in on your own emotions and calibrate
- Know your limitations
- Be aware of the dark side of your personality
- Put your own oxygen mask on first
For details, of future webinars in this series please click here.