Shoosmiths is committed to protecting the environment by demonstrating high standards of environmental responsibility in all our operations and minimising the environmental impacts associated with our activities, products and services. In particular, we recognise the importance of decarbonising our business and in January 2020 we set an ambitious goal for Shoosmiths’ operations (scopes 1 and 2) to achieve net zero status by 2025.
We also have science-based emissions reduction targets that were approved by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) in November 2021. Shoosmiths commits to reductions across its entire value chain namely to:
- Reduce absolute scope 1, 2 and 3 Greenhouse Gas Emissions 50% by FY2030 from an FY2020 base year; and
- Increase annual sourcing of renewable electricity from 74% in FY2020 to 100% by FY2025.
We are developing a net zero target and strategy to cover our full value chain, which we will align to the SBTi Net-Zero Standard.
Our initiatives to meet our operational net zero and science-based targets include:
- implementing, maintaining and communicating this policy across the firm and making it available to all interested parties;
- legislative compliance and demonstration of best practice;
- following recognised frameworks and standards;
- strategic decision making and improved operational practices to decarbonise our business;
- measurement, monitoring, analysis and reporting of our carbon emissions;
- rapid elimination of emissions where technically and commercially practicable;
- establishment and regular review of objectives and targets and publication of our performance against these objectives;
- investment of appropriate resources and information to achieve our objectives and targets;
- improving the energy efficiency of our buildings and IT systems and sourcing renewable energy where technically and commercially practicable;
- continued investment in agile working and IT and communication systems;
- minimising business travel;
- working with our suppliers to reduce supply chain related emissions through measurement, target setting and collaboration;
- training and supporting our staff to inform and empower them to implement carbon net zero solutions at work and at home;
- advising and working with our clients to achieve aligned goals including legal advice, thought leadership and sharing of best practice;
- being a signatory of appropriate external initiatives and collaborating with other external interested parties so that we learn, share best practice and collaborate to champion positive environmental change; and
- considering carbon removals for residual carbon emissions that cannot be eliminated.
Date: 8 November 2021
Signed: Simon Boss, Chief Executive