Shoosmiths is working towards a carbon net zero future.
This includes a target for our operations to achieve net zero emissions status by 2025 and a commitment to the Science Based Targets initiative to set science-based emissions reduction targets across the entire value chain that are consistent with keeping global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
Business travel forms a significant part of our carbon footprint and our strategy to minimise business travel and reduce associated environmental impacts is based on:
- implementing, maintaining, monitoring and communicating this policy across the firm and making it available to all interested parties;
- undertaking agile working practices, underpinned by our working principles, giving colleagues even more choice to make their own decisions on where and when they work;
- ensuring appropriate systems, technology and support are in place that make it easy for employees to manage their working day by minimising the need for business travel;
- operation of a centralised online booking platform for all domestic and overseas travel, facilitating the capture of management information to track progress against this policy;
- provision of guidelines on how to travel in a safe, cost effective and sustainable way including challenging the need for travel, encouraging a one day a week no travel approach and adopting a travel hierarchy approach. Internal carbon pricing has been introduced for all business flight bookings, colleagues have the option to upgrade to first class rail travel for rail journeys of two hours or more and the use of public transport is encouraged for city centre locations.
- offering the UK ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme to employees which we have supported since 2007;
- supporting our people to drive more safely and efficiently through e-learning;
- measuring and reporting business travel emissions as part of our annual carbon footprint and target progress reporting and
- determining additional data for reporting, because of changes to working practices including commuting to work and homeworking emissions; and
- sharing best practice.
Date: 12 March 2021
Signed: Simon Boss, Chief Executive