The two largest contributors to Shoosmiths’ carbon footprint are building energy consumption and business travel.
Our approach to travel during 2020, whilst governed by pandemic restrictions, gave us a unique opportunity to reinforce the best of our virtual working practices adopted over the last few years. In November 2020 we also introduced a new online travel booking platform which is operated on Shoosmiths’ behalf by the travel management company Inntel.
Centralising domestic and overseas travel will deliver a number of benefits with plans for the portal to include the provision of environmental information such as carbon emissions associated with travel options.
The sustainable travel policy statement follows a board review with new measures reinforcing the travel hierarchy including:
- challenging the need for travel;
- encouraging a one day a week no travel approach;
- flights to be booked only with line manager approval;
- internal carbon pricing for all business flight booking;
- colleagues have the option to upgrade to first class rail travel for rail journeys of two hours or more and;
- the use of public transport is encouraged for city centre locations
You can read the full policy statement here.