Aaron is a planning lawyer with over 3 years’ legal experience of advising both private and public-sector clients (as well as high net worth individuals) in respect of a broad array of planning matters and his legal experience is supplemented by his previous roles as a planning officer and planning enforcement officer in a local authority.
Aaron has a wealth of experience with regard to providing legal advice for various property types and planning schemes - including in the residential, retail, transport, manufacturing and distribution sectors.
Aaron’s experience includes:
- providing advice to private sector clients in respect of planning enforcement and listed building issues (including regulatory and criminal proceedings, comprising both prosecution and injunction) and has included advising on injunction proceedings in the High Court for serious breaches of planning control and waste offences;
- advising local authorities Planning in respect of all aspects of planning Enforcement – including advising in respect of application and procedure and drafting Enforcement Notices; Stop Notices, Temporary Stop Notices, Breach of Condition Notices and Planning Contravention Notices;
- extensive experience in drafting and negotiating complex section 106 agreements and regularly acting for numerous housebuilder (including many of the top 20), developer and landowner clients in relation to large sites across the country;
- providing strategic and technical advice to a wide range of clients with regard to the submissions of planning applications (including s.73 and s.96A applications and reserved matters applications) and planning appeals, as well as advising on the use of permitted development;
- advising clients in respect of the lawful implementation of planning permissions and successfully obtaining certificates of lawfulness;
- carrying out complex due diligence on both residential and commercial schemes including acquisition and refinance of a large mixed-use retail sites, acquisitions of property portfolios relating to HMO use and the acquisition of large industrial sites; and
- regularly advising clients in respect of CIL liability.
Aaron joined Shoosmiths in July 2019 following over 2 years as a planning solicitor at Gateley PLC and over 3 years in the legal services department of Staffordshire County Council.