Alastair heads our national venture capital practice group and is nationally recognized for his venture capital expertise.
Alastair’s focus is on venture and growth capital, advising both institutions and companies/founders on start-up through funding rounds, M&A, and ultimately exit. He is passionate about helping clients with both day-to-day and strategic issues through their life-cycle.
Key clients include Octopus Ventures, Triple Point, Gresham House, DIF Capital, MML Capital Partners, BGF, and numerous start-up and scale-up companies, typically technology enabled. Alastair and his team have market leading expertise in advising on investments involving Venture Capital Trust (VCT) and Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) tax complexities.
Recent experience includes advising:
- Octopus Ventures on over 60 investments in the past two years, including its series C investment in cybersecurity business Digital Shadows, its series B investment in short term retail space provider Appear Here, and investments into Secret Escapes, Token, Chronext, Depop and others. Alastair also advises Octopus Ventures on exits including of Swiftkey to Microsoft, Evi to Amazon, Tails.com to Nestle, and the IPOs of Zoopla and Eve Sleep;
- Oxford Capital Partners on investments including into savings platform Moneybox and insurance disrupter Wrisk;
- Harbr on its $38.5m investment round led by Dawn Capital and Tiger Global;
- Burda Principal on the Series D investment in florist Bloom and Wild;
- MML Capital and management of Learning Curve Group on their exit to Agilitas;
- BGF and management of CAD reseller Solid Solutions Management on investment by LDC;
- US investment bank Cowen on its leading a $61m late stage investment into biotech firm F2G;
- Amber Infrastructure, manager of the National Digital Infrastructure Fund, and DIF Capital on investments into fibre broadband providers; and
- Oxford Nanoimaging on its Series C investment from Oxford Sciences Innovation (OSI) and others.