Alastair heads our national venture capital practice group.
Alastair’s focus is on venture and growth capital, advising both institutions and companies/founders on start-up through funding rounds, M&A, and ultimately exit. He is passionate about helping clients with both day-to-day and strategic issues through their life-cycle.
Key clients include Octopus Ventures and Octopus Investments, Oxford Capital Partners, MML Capital Partners, Amber Infrastructure, BGF, and numerous start-up and scale-up companies, typically technology enabled. Alastair and his team have market leading exertise in advising on investments involving Venture Capital Trust (VCT) and Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) tax complexities.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for Octopus Ventures on over 60 investments in the past two years, including its series C investment in cybersecurity business Digital Shadows, its series B investment in short term retail space provider Appear Here, and investments into Secret Escapes, Token, Chronext, and others. Alastair also advised Octopus Ventures on exits including of Swiftkey to Microsoft, Evi to Amazon, Tails.com to Nestle, and the IPOs of Zoopla and Eve Sleep;
- Advising Oxford Capital Partners on investments including into savings platform Moneybox and insurance disrupter Wrisk;
- Acting for AI developer Speechmatics on its recent investment from IQ Partners, Amadeus and others;
- Advising Glint Pay, the fintech business reintroducing gold as currency, on investment from NEC Capital Solutions and Tokyo Commodity Exchange;
- Acting for Amber Infrastructure, manager of the National Digital Infrastructure Fund, on investments into Community Fibre and Airband;
- Advising Oxford Nanoimaging on its Series C investment from Oxford Sciences Innovation (OSI) and others.