Andrew specialises in providing advice on non-contentious construction related issues to a wide variety of entities, including developers, contractors, public bodies and funders. Andrew has also previously undertaken a six month secondment as a commercial legal adviser at one of the UK’s largest contractors at their head office. During this time he advised on a wide variety of legal issues (including both construction and non-construction issues) and gained a useful first hand perspective on the client’s and an in-house lawyer’s approach.
Recent examples of work include:
- Acting for one of the UK’s largest regeneration specialists on the construction aspects (including strategic advice) on:
- the agreements relating to the design and construction of a major heavy manufacturing and assembly facility in South Wales. As part of this, Andrew advised on the building agreement with the purchaser as well as the building, infrastructure and remediation contracts, professional appointments, rail asset protection agreements, collateral warranties and performance security;
- three phases of a major town centre redevelopment in the West Midlands with a construction value of over £70m. These phases included advising on the construction aspects of the relevant development agreements with major retailers and negotiating all of the relevant construction documents with all the parties involved in the redevelopment;
- various development, infrastructure and remediation works across its various sites in the UK (including advising in relation to the JCT and NEC3/NEC4 forms of contract, the construction aspects of agreements with Highways England, professional appointments and framework appointments, collateral warranties, performance security measures and in relation to insolvencies in its supply chain).
- Advising a real estate investment trust on the design and construction of a circa £35m office building in the City of London, which involves a confined site, the demolition of a large existing structure and negotiations with one of the UK’s largest contractors. Andrew also advises this real estate investment trust in relation to all of its construction activities across its portfolio;
- Advising one of the UK’s largest private developers on two of its key strategic sites, including advising on the construction aspects of agreements for lease and sale, the building contracts for site preparation and infrastructure works together with the design and construction of industrial logistic units (including for one of the UK’s largest speculative industrial units together with the works to create a new junction on a strategic highway), professional appointments, utility delivery contracts, collateral warranties and performance security;
- Drafting bespoke building contracts and framework agreements for two large listed residential developers and subsequently working with the clients to update these forms of contract so that they evolved to meet the each client’s aims as they sought to grow and expand their business.
Andrew is also recognised in both Chambers and Legal 500.