Andy is a commercial lawyer who advises on a variety of commercial transactions, with an increasing IT focus. He specialises in outsourcing arrangements and transformation projects and primarily works for clients across the hospitality, automotive, financial services and FMCG sectors. In 2019 he was shortlisted for the Rising Star award in the British Legal Awards and was recognised by the Legal 500 for his versatility and for always delivering for the client.
Recent experience includes:
- fulfilling the role of interim General Counsel at Travelodge Hotels Limited for one year (including delivering business critical projects, introducing innovative processes and managing a team of 4 and a fast paced flow of legal matters);
- advising a leading global luxury holiday company on its multi-million pound transformation of its data infrastructure and customer insight capabilities. Guided the legal function, private equity owners, procurement and IT teams on the delivery and management of the large scale outsourcing. Added rigor and structure to the negotiation with tier 1 IT companies during the competitive RFP process and secured an excellent risk profile for the client in the final agreement;
- advising an automotive company on the legal aspects of the global development and design of an iconic limited edition sports car;
- supporting a UK bank on a multi-million pound and multi-facetted transformation of its motor finance business for a customised, hosted, managed and supported solution to optimise credit underwriting proposal generation and the provision of consumer finance data bureau services. Activities included taking the senior legal lead on drafting and negotiating key terms with multiple bidders, inputting into RFP documentation and delivering strategic board level advice in signing off the contract; and
- advising on a €116 million digital marketing and global IT systems integration project for an automotive company. Brought in to troubleshoot on complex negotiations and problems midway through the configuration process. Worked closely with the globally based legal team, business leads and external consultants on a daily basis for several months. Andy managed the project from a legal perspective and kept the global GC and board informed of strategic developments and risks.
Andy has spent time working on secondment with Travelodge, Close Brothers, Weetabix, British American Tobacco, Home Retail Group and H.B. Fuller and previously qualified into Shoosmiths’ Dispute Resolution and Compliance team. Andy therefore has a full appreciation of the implications of his commercial advice from an in house and contentious perspective.
After studying law at Cardiff University and Nottingham Law School, Andy joined Shoosmiths in September 2010 and qualified as a Solicitor in September 2012.