Andy is a commercial solicitor in the Technology, Media and Commercial team. Andy has experience of advising in house lawyers, managing directors, CEOs and key individuals within national and international businesses on a range of commercial issues and transactions, including: complex supply agreements for the provision of both goods and services; distribution agreements; confidentiality agreements; marketing and agency agreements; outsourcing agreements; contract terminations; and research and development agreements.
His style is to work closely with clients not only to identify their commercial goals, but also to explore creative, practical and cost effective commercial solutions.
Recent experience includes:
- In-house experience of working in a fast paced environment with a substantial caseload, drafting multi-million pound agreements, managing deadlines and expectations and advising on a wide variety of issues to achieve the commercial goals of the business;
- Working closely with clients to identify commercial goals, provide bespoke strategies and robust advice in order to navigate businesses through commercial transactions and potentially litigious situations with a view to achieving cost effective and commercially sound results;
- Undertaking detailed analysis of contracts (often multiple agreements governing one supplier relationship) to improve contractual frameworks, identify risks and create strategies which facilitate the clients' commercial goals;
- Providing legal support directly to operational functions, procurement teams and business owners on a full spectrum of commercial and supplier related issues; and
- Advising on exit strategies and contract terminations to assist businesses in extricating themselves from unprofitable or undesirable contracts.
Andy has spent time working on secondment with Weetabix, British American Tobacco, Home Retail Group and H.B. Fuller and previously qualified into Shoosmiths’ Dispute Resolution and Compliance team. Andy therefore has a full appreciation of the implications of his commercial advice from an in house and contentious perspective.
After studying law at Cardiff University and Nottingham Law School, Andy joined Shoosmiths in September 2010 and qualified as a Solicitor in September 2012.