Angus is an experienced environmental lawyer whose practice covers all aspects of environmental law from contaminated land to waste, climate change, renewables, nuisance, water pollution and asbestos. He also has expertise in related areas such as energy and health & safety. He advises developers and operators of, and investors in, infrastructure, real estate and other businesses on transactional, regulatory and contentious issues, regularly working alongside corporate, real estate, commercial, regulatory, projects and EU/competition teams.
Angus’s recent experience includes advising:
- One of the UK's leading regeneration businesses on the acquisition, development and disposal of multiple brownfield sites across the UK.
- Various private equity and real estate funds on their participation in the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme.
- A waste management company with operations across a wide geographic area on enforcement disputes with multiple local authorities.
- A motorway service area operator on the acquisition and redevelopment of former landfill sites as motorway service areas.
- A major real estate developer on environmental liabilities arising following the insolvency of a waste management business tenant.
Angus has led Shoosmiths’ environmental practice since 2016, having joined the firm from King & Wood Mallesons (formerly SJ Berwin).
He is one of the Co-Chairs of the UK Environmental Law Association’s (UKELA) Brexit Task Force and a former Convenor of UKELA's Waste Working Party.