Anika is a partner in the tax department and heads up the firm’s employee incentives tax practice. Anika advises companies on all aspects of the design and implementation of share plans, management incentive arrangements and bonus plans. Anika has particular expertise in the design and implementation of bespoke share plans and regularly advises companies on the impact of corporate transactions on employee incentives. She also advises clients on the tax treatment of shares, securities, tax advantaged and non-tax advantaged options acquired in an employment context. In addition, Anika works closely with Shoosmiths’ employment experts to advise on employment tax issues, including on the off payroll working rules and on the termination of senior executives.
Anika sits on the executive committee of the Share Plan Lawyers Group and also on their tax and regulatory and corporate governance committees. She also sits on the Lexis PSL Share Incentives Consultant Editorial Board.
Her recent experience includes:
- advising a company which was spun out from a large listed company on the bespoke share incentive arrangements to be put in place for the founders and for key executives;
- advising an Israeli listed company on the acquisition of a UK company including writing to HMRC to establish the status of the options in the UK target company;
- advising a US company, Swiss company and an Irish company on the extension of participation in its share plans to UK employees;
- advising multinational clients on the employment, tax, securities and regulatory law aspects of operating share plans in several jurisdictions;
- the implementation of a number of Enterprise Management Incentive arrangements or other share plan arrangements for various EIS and VCT backed companies;
- advising investors on the impact of their investment into a company on the company’s share plans;
- obtaining advance assurance for several companies on their eligibility to grant Enterprise Management Incentive options;
- advising a UK incorporated US listed company on the on-going operation of its share plan, including advising on its Companies Act obligations and its corporate governance obligations; and
- providing ongoing training to investors including Octopus Investments on the share plan aspects of investments into new companies.
Anika trained at CMS Cameron McKenna and qualified into their tax department in 2004. After, she moved to Allen & Overy and then to Stephenson Harwood where she spent 10 years. Anika joined Shoosmiths in 2019 as a partner.