Barry heads up Shoosmiths’ Investment Funds practice and is recognised in Chambers & Partners as a notable practitioner, with clients describing him as being "very responsive and highly knowledgeable of the sector", adding that he is "pragmatic and an excellent negotiator." His drafting skills and knowledge of hedge funds are further acknowledged in the Legal 500 directory.
Barry’s experience as a funds specialist with City and international law firms extends to more than 30 years in advising clients on establishing real estate, venture capital, private equity and hedge funds and other investment structures, as well as on mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other corporate work.
His work includes advising fund managers, investors and professional services firms on limited liability partnerships and partnership agreements and mergers.
Barry was previously an investment banker at UBS, gaining experience in the real estate and listed funds sectors to bring an understanding of both the financial and legal drivers behind projects.
Barry’s experience includes:
- Advising a UK real estate manager on establishing 3 real estate funds
- Acting for a UK asset advisor on over 20 real estate club deals
- Establishing a private equity fund for a family wealth office
- Establishing a credit fund for a UK and EU lending institution
- Establishing 2 crypto currency funds in the Cayman Islands
- Establishing a series of 3 BVI hedge funds on behalf of a UK fund manager
Barry qualified in London in 1987, He joined Shoosmiths in 2021 as a Partner.