Charles is a Legal Director in the Real Estate Division. He has experience of all aspects of real estate work and specialises in acting for investors, developers and funders in relation to investment sales/purchases, commercial, mixed use and residential developments, forward sales/purchases, forward fundings, and lettings. Charles has particular sector expertise in relation to build to rent, mixed use and healthcare transactions (including care homes, retirement villages and primary care centres).
Recent experience includes:
- acting on the purchase of a residential-led mixed use city centre development for a London-based property fund;
- acting on the purchase of a major city centre office building and the forward funding of a build to rent development/conversion for a London-based property fund;
- acting for a local authority in relation to a major mixed use town centre redevelopment, including cinema, food and beverage lettings and a retail lease re-gear;
- acquiring a development site for a retirement village developer and advising on structuring and set-up issues in relation to the development;
- managing the team acting for the landlord of a major city centre shopping centre in relation to retail unit lettings.
Charles started his career at City firm Berwin Leighton Paisner and worked in London for over 5 years before returning to his home city of Leeds in 2003. Following several years as a Partner at DWF, Charles joined Shoosmiths in November 2018.