Charles specialises in all aspects of non contentious restructuring and insolvency, advising banks, insolvency practitioners, company directors and creditors on all aspects of the insolvency process.
Charles advises on company voluntary arrangements (with particular emphasis on the retail sector) disposals and acquisitions of businesses and assets out of administration and administrative receivership, as well as advising major banks, asset based lenders and other lenders in connection with security reviews and enforcement of security.
Known for his excellent technical skill and commercial awareness, Charles has recently advised on a number of retail CVAs (Monsoon Accessorize Limited, Accessorize Limited, Office Outlet (formerly Staples), Supercuts and Select Fashions). Charles also advised in connection with the restructuring of Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited, culminating in the implementation of a CVA.
Charles’ other notable experience includes:
- advising the directors of Office Outlet (a company operating from 87 stores formerly under the Staples brand) in connection with its company voluntary arrangement;
- advising Regis UK Limited, trading as Supercuts, a company operating hairdressing and beauty salons from 223 outlets, in connection with its restructuring through a company voluntary arrangement;
- advising the administrators of Gelpack Excelsior Limited and Gelpack Industrial Limited;
- advising the administrators of the Sealine group of companies;
- advising the administrators of the Ham Baker Group of companies;
- advising Aldermore Bank plc in connection with its high value acquisition of the business and assets of Heritable Asset Finance Limited – in administration
- advising Duff & Phelps in connection with the administration of Vergo Retail Limited, a 20 branch department store chain, including the well known branches of Lewis’s of Liverpool and Robbs at Hexham
Having graduated with a degree in European Law from the University of Warwick and the University of Lille, Charles completed his LPC at Nottingham Law School before qualifiying in 2001. Charles joined Shoosmiths in 2008.