Fiona is a partner in the Banking and Finance team, based in Glasgow.
She has a wealth of experience advising on the financial aspects of a range of complex and high-value transactions across a variety of sectors and jurisdictions. Her work spans real estate and leveraged finance, asset finance and general corporate lending and includes bi-lateral, multi-lateral and club deals, mezzanine funding and equity.
She acts for both lenders and borrowers and has been praised for being able to get the best deal for borrowers and understanding the constraints at play for the lender.
She has extensive experience in investment and development facilities, including for purpose built student accommodation, care homes, hotels, retail and office sites.
Recent corporate deals have included several large restructurings and a number of financings in relation to share acquisitions, “war chests” and general working capital.
Fiona has also acted for several household names in the food and drink sector in relation to large ABL facilities.
Fiona's recent transactions include:
- acting for a global digital learning company in relation to multi-million pound facilities obtained by it for the acquisition of a complimentary business in Spain;
- acting for the funder in relation to a multi-million pound facility for the purchase and development of a large residential site in Ayrshire;
- acting for electric car racing championship Extreme E in relation to its banking facilities;
- Acting for Berkeley De Veer in relation to its £500m acquisition of Avant Homes;
- Acting for Gresham House in relation to its investments in Scottish broadband provider Borderlink Broadband.
Fiona has jointly spearheaded the firm's 'Focus on COP26' campaign, which, alongside various commentary pieces, podcasts and roundtables from the firm, saw Shoosmiths sponsor the UN Global Compact Network UK's 'Transitioning to Net Zero
' webinar series and act as a commercial sponsor to the UK Green Building Council's Built Environment Virtual Pavilion
. She has a focus on sustainability
and green and sustainable finance and has commented extensively in these areas and their impact on wider client concerns
She has also focused on assisting clients through LIBOR transition, delivering training to some of the firm's large bank clients and being asked to comment
on the subject.