Gemma is a partner in our Financial Services team. Having worked in financial services throughout her career, she specialises in advising financial institutions across all sectors of the retail finance industry including retail banks, asset finance lenders, and alternative finance providers on a wide range of regulatory and compliance matters, with a particular focus on consumer and retail finance.
With extensive in-house experience, she is known for her commercial and pragmatic approach, and has significant expertise in drafting of and advising on a variety of consumer credit products to ensure compliance with FCA rules, the Financial Services and Markets Act, the Consumer Credit Act and associated consumer protection legislation.
Her work in these areas includes advising on new market entries, product launches, distribution channels, partner funding structures, drafting of all customer facing documentation, in life account servicing and all regulatory matters connected to the end to end customer journey.
Recent examples of work undertaken include:
- Drafting loan documentation, in life regulated notices and statements in respect of various retail finance products (including credit and hire products)
- advising lenders on FCA authorisations
- Compliance with FCA notification requirements, information requests and surveys
- Advising lenders in connection with joint venture and finance partner arrangements
- FCA change of control applications and due diligence in the context of corporate mergers and acquisitions of FCA regulated entities
Gemma originally trained at Shoosmiths, qualifying in to their Corporate and Commercial team in 2004, before joining the Financial Services team. She recently re-joined Shoosmiths as a Partner having spent over 7 years in-house with Vauxhall Finance plc, the latter half of which she was their Head of Legal for the UK, Sweden and Ireland.