Hedley joined Shoosmiths in January 2016 as Head of the Recoveries Services compliance team to provide pragmatic and commercial regulatory support and guidance to the business and its clients. Hedley will work to ensure RSG’s (now Recoveries) working practices are compliant with relevant FCA and other associated financial services regulation.
Hedley has experience of FCA regulatory requirements across a range of retail financial service product areas. He has facilitated a number of Financial Conduct Authority’s (FCA) (and its predecessors) regulatory visits.
Hedley’s responsibilities include:
- keeping the Recoveries teams and its clients up to date with relevant industry developments and issuing monthly legal and regulatory updates;
- development and delivery of the Recoveries Compliance Annual Monitoring Plan and compliance quality framework to oversee the Recoveries consumer and commercial debt recovery team activity, and evidence to regulators that Shoosmiths has a key focus on its legal and regulatory obligations;
- delivering compliance support and guidance, and helping to deliver policies and procedures to provide appropriate regulatory controls, in particular those covering Conduct Risk and TCF requirements;
- conducting onsite high level reviews of client compliance procedures and policies, providing clear and straightforward detailed reports setting out specific and detailed recommendations;
- supporting the business with client audits, questionnaires and new tenders;
- liaison with the FCA in respect of its statutory Returns, notifications and Approved Person applications and changes.
Hedley joined Shoosmiths from life and pensions outsource provider Diligenta Limited where he was Head of Compliance, responsible for implementing and developing compliance strategy and frameworks, and regulatory oversight in line with regulatory requirements. He also provided direct regulatory guidance, consultancy support and project management to all areas of the business.
Prior to that, Hedley held several senior compliance role (including CF10 for three regulated firms), totaling over twenty years, covering general insurance, life and pensions, investments and consumer credit; at SERCO Listening Company Limited (also an outsource services provider); Personal Group; Aviva; Century Life and Nationwide Building Society.
Hedley is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers and an Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute.