Helen is well-versed in the specialist area of employment / labour law, advising HR professionals, in-house counsel, directors and managers on human resource and employment law issues. She has particular experience of TUPE and outsourcing; Tribunals; business-related immigration; collective and union issues; whistle blowing; disciplinary, grievance and dismissal issues; and drafting and negotiating senior executive termination agreements (on behalf of both employer clients and senior individuals).
Having worked alongside several clients in-house Helen is acutely aware of the pressures businesses face and she works in partnership with her clients to deliver swift, commercial and pragmatic business solutions.
Recent work handled by Helen includes advising:
- Staples on a UK-wide change programme affecting their retail store network which involved altering shift patterns and employees’ hours;
- LateRooms in respect of several senior exits;
- Cambridge University Press regarding the HR and employment law implications surrounding the outsourcing of warehousing and printing functions to different providers;
- Thomas Cook in respect of the merger (and TUPE transfers) of the retail arms of Thomas Cook, The Cooperative Group Limited and Midlands Coop Limited. Helen provided advice on numerous issues including advising on consultations with the various unions involved, establishments, TUPE consultation and redundancy processes;
- Dassault in relation to a complex and lengthy Tribunal claim brought on the basis of unfair dismissal and race discrimination;
- Thomas Cook Group on a Tribunal claim involving multiple claimants who each claimed unfair dismissal, failure to consult under TUPE, payment for unpaid amounts, amongst others.
Helen regularly chairs and presents at seminars, briefings and training sessions for both HR practitioners and line managers. Helen has also provided one-to-one coaching sessions for several senior directors who previously had little experience of UK employment practices and legislation.
She is also a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
Helen joined Shoosmiths in 2002 as a trainee, qualifying in 2004 and becoming partner in 2013.