James is the national head of Shoosmiths’ Restructuring & Insolvency department.
James specialises in acting for corporate clients on the restructuring of their business, director clients on their duties / responsibilities and private equity investors on acquiring distressed businesses and debt. James also regularly advises banks, asset based lenders, insolvency practitioners, private equity holders and directors on all matters arising from distressed lending, corporate recovery and corporate insolvency.
James has become well known as a leading “go to” lawyer for advice on CVAs, particularly in the retail sector, having advised a number of retailers on CVAs over the last 12 months.
James is well known in the market for his pragmatic and commercial approach to complex situations, having worked on a number of high profile and well known insolvencies.
- James is a particularly well regarded in relation to the retail sector and in addition to advising on a significant number of CVAs for retailers, other projects James and his team have worked on have included Pricewaterhouse Coopers, the administrators of The Food Retailer Operations Limited (formerly known as Somerfield Supermarkets) which operated circa 34 supermarket stores and employed over 800 people
- Advising the board of directors of Jones the Bootmakers and Brantano.
- Advising Vehicle Trading Group (a sub-prime lender into the used car market, with circa £40m worth of debt) in connection with its financial circumstances, and thereafter advising Grant Thornton, the administrators of Vehicle Trading Group in connection with the complex restructuring of the Group and the sale of the subsidiary companies to RateSetter.
- Advising KPMG as administrators of Gelpack Excelsior Limited and Gelpack Industrial Limited, a polymer manufacturing business employing circa 200 people in Hereford, in connection with the sales of the various business divisions within the companies, and the further disposals of the assets of the companies.
- FRP Advisory LLP in connection with the administration of The Ham Baker Adams Group of companies.
James is also listed in the Legal 500’s Hall of Fame, which recognises individuals who have received constant praise by their clients for continued excellence.