James heads the London
corporate team and Shoosmiths’ top-tier technology sector. James is a well-respected corporate
lawyer with over 20 years’ PE, VC and M&A experience having acted for corporates, management teams
and institutional clients including PE houses and VCs on all sizes of transactions.
A significant amount of James’ practice covers domestic and
cross-border M&A transactions, corporate reorganisations and joint ventures,
but he also has a strong track record in advising startups and early stage businesses particularly assisting with fundraisings (in
particular through his investor connections in the UK and US), and helping companies scale to the US.
James’ leadership of the technology
sector nationally has seen the firm provide key support for a number of industry
events and organisations in the last 12 months including SVC2UK (which the firm
sponsored and supported), Digital Boost and Global Tech Advocates / Tech London Advocates (James sits on the Advisory
Board of both).
James's recent experience includes advising:
- leading European tech VC Lakestar on its Series B investment into Streetbees
- a leading US headquartered institutional investor on various investments into UK businesses
- the shareholders on the sale of tech company NETconnection Systems to August Equity/Charterhouse
- the shareholders on the sale of ERP software business EasyBuild to the Access Group
- leading insurance disrupter Wrisk on numerous investment rounds
- Beringea on their investment into esports company Fnatic as part of a $19m Series A funding round