Jennifer is a Senior Associate in the Commercial team, who advises on major commercial, infrastructure and technology projects, specialising in procurement and state aid. Jennifer has over a decade of experience in advising clients in both the public and private sectors on infrastructure projects across a range of sectors, from central government outsourcing, energy and waste projects to local transport systems contracts.
Jennifer leads the non-contentious public procurement and state aid advisory team at Shoosmiths, providing pragmatic, commercial advice to central government departments and local government as well as private sector clients on mitigating procurement risk and compliance with the state aid regime in the UK.
Examples of Jennifer’s experience include:
- Advising central government departments on the outsourcing of back office services;
- Advising local authorities on the procurement and contracting of new tram and tram-train systems;
- Advising the successful bidder for a Scottish waste project and advising local authorities on their residual waste schemes;
- Advising an organic waste contractor on its bid for a major organic waste procurement by the Greater Manchester Combined Authority;
- Advising on the funder and borrower side of the financing of onshore wind and solar PPV projects;
- Advising on radar mitigation options for wind farm projects;
- Advising a major bank on the funding of a portfolio of hydro projects in North Wales;
- Providing procurement advice in relation to the collapse of Carillion;
- Advising a national biomass power plant on securing EU grant funding;
- Drafting a public procurement policy note on evaluating past performance of bidders on other publicly procured contracts;
- Providing advice to central government on proposed modifications to existing contracts, and the options available to mitigate the risk of a successful challenge within the parameters of the UK procurement regulations;
- Advising a number of local transport authorities on the state aid exemptions available for the distribution of funding;
- Advising local authorities and private sector developers on compliance with procurement law and state aid exemptions in relation to the redevelopment of various urban sites.