Joanna is a Senior Associate in Shoosmiths' Commercial team, based in the Reading office. She advises on a wide range of commercial matters, including: supply agreements for goods and/or services; distribution agreements; sponsorship agreements; contract variations and terminations; consultancy agreements; confidentiality agreements; research and development agreements; and outsourcing projects.
In 2016, Joanna spent a year on a full-time secondment to British American Tobacco where she worked in a fast-paced, dynamic in-house legal team, providing practical and timely advice directly to the business. More recently, Joanna has completed shorter-term secondments to the Commercial legal teams at three further household-name businesses.
Recent experience includes:
- negotiating and agreeing a concession agreement for a well-known beauty brand to enable that brand to run nail bars in several branches of a major UK department store. This contract was multi-disciplined and involved liaising with Shoosmiths' Real Estate, Construction, Tax and Employment teams in addition to providing Commercial legal advice;
- assisting a major telecommunications provider on the multi-million pound outsourcing of the management of its IT network infrastructure;
- drafting and negotiating variation/renewal agreements on behalf of a UK magazine wholesaler to secure its already long-standing relationships with key distributors for a further five years;
- preparing standard documentation for a client relating to the supply of data to its customers; negotiating contracts with that client’s major UK retailer and manufacturer customers and advising on the intellectual property issues arising out of the collection and supply of third party-sourced data;
- renewing and updating an existing agreement with a provider of e-signature and electronic ID verification services;
- drafting a new contract for the purchase of recruitment services. This involved navigating the client through its existing complex contractual arrangements and offering practical solutions as to the structure of the new deal to enable the client to fulfil its commercial objectives moving forward;
- drafting and negotiating a framework agreement for the procurement of real estate transaction management services internationally; and
- drafting, negotiating and advising clients on a wide range of procurement contracts relating to the purchase of facilities, travel and professional services.
Joanna trained at Boyes Turner LLP, qualifying into their Commercial & Technology team in 2012. She joined Shoosmiths three years later in 2015.