Jonathan is a solicitor in the Commercial team, based in the Reading office, with a focus on Technology, Media and Advertising. Jonathan has been seconded out to various clients including the head office of an international public-listed holiday provider, the UK end-market subsidiary for a global tobacco company and the UK subsidiary of a global telecommunications and internet service provider.
During these secondments, Jonathan helped advise on a variety of commercial matters, including: IT & professional service contracts, agency tender processes, social media & digital marketing contracts, advertising and marketing compliance, intellectual property and some high-level aspects of data protection (mainly relating to advertising). Jonathan therefore has a great understanding of the commercial and legal pressures that an in-house legal team faces as well as the quality they expect from their lawyers.
Jonathan's most recent experience includes:
· Providing sole legal resource for a large advertising campaign within a widely restricted sector. This involved careful analysis and guidance in relation to specific CAP Code regulations for a range of offline and online activations.
· Drafting and negotiating a range of commercial agreements covering specific areas such as social media & digital marketing, PR & creative media agencies, IT reseller agreements and general professional services / trading agreements.
· Advising on a range of marketing and advertising queries including ASA complaints, CAP Code compliance and producing key T&Cs for a range of promotional campaigns;
· Drafting agreements in relation to a key promotional marketing campaign for a new mobile telephone brand based in the UK; and
· Advising on IP related matters including trademark infringement, copyright issues and licensing agreements in relation to social media and marketing campaigns.
Jonathan joined Shoosmiths as a trainee solicitor in 2016 and qualified into the Commercial team in September 2018.
Prior to this, Jonathan studied law at the University of Reading and completed the Legal Practice Course at the University of Law (Guildford) with distinction in 2016. During his time at University, Jonathan spent 7 months assisting a technology start-up based in Reading in relation to commercial and IP matters as well as completing a NOCN course in community mediation (A level equivalent).