Jonathan joined Shoosmiths in April 2017 having trained at Pitmans Law and following a 22 year career in retail/IT. Jonathan advises employers and trustees on the law relating to occupational pension schemes. Jonathan's experience to date includes:
- Drafting scheme documentation, including trust deeds and rules and amending deeds.
- Preparation of a benefit specification for a trustee board who were looking to buy out benefits with an insurer.
- Reviewing insurer proposals in relation to a buy-in/buyout exercise.
- GDPR support to trustee boards including production of template documents.
- Reviewing member communications in relation to a transfer value exercise.
- Advising on the pensions aspects of corporate transactions.
- Providing training documents and updates on current legal issues for trustees.
- Advising on day-to-day member queries.
- IDRP complaints including Pensions Ombudsman responses (Early Resolution Service). Examples include complaints relating to transfer values, lump sum death benefits and pension increases.
- Reviewing investment management agreements and related documentation.
- Providing advice in relation to commutation and transfer payments including implications in relation to GMP equalisation.
- Providing advice in respect of contingent assets, such as advising on documentary requirements in order to secure PPF levy reductions.
- Funding/contribution issues, in particular in relation to corporate transactions of sponsoring employers.
- Providing advice on flexible apportionment arrangements, admission of new employers and changes of principal employer, in particular to ensure trustees understand their responsibilities and obligations in the process and that all appropriate steps are taken to protect members' interests.
Jonathan is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.
LLB in Law (1st Class Honours) (Open University)
Legal Practice Course (Distinction) (College of Law, Guildford)
LLM in Professional Legal Practice (Commendation) (University of Law, Guildford)
Jonathan has also previously completed a HNC in Computing, and more recently has attained a level 2 certificate in British Sign Language.