Jonathan has specialised in Real Estate for over 15 years, with a broad range of experience covering investment acquisitions and disposals, corporate mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, finance, development and letting transactions. Jonathan has advised clients in the office, retail, industrial and residential sectors.
Jonathan’s experience includes:
- financing and £92.2 million purchase of mixed-use 55 Mark Lane, City of London for an international developer;
- sole lawyer acting for a FTSE 250 international investment bank and asset manager on its property matters, including their London HQ move for nearly 2,000 staff involving the acquisition of 200,000 sq ft of Grade A office space in the heart of the City of London at a significant rent;
- £367 million disposal by a pharmaceutical company of its international business to a private equity firm;
- acting for offshore investors on the disposal of a mixed use property portfolio valued in excess of £120 million;
- advising on the sale of a multi-let office block in Clerkenwell, London for £30 million;
- representing a well-known national serviced office provider on numerous acquisitions and disposals, including its 30,000 sq ft leasehold acquisition of an office block on Moorgate in the City of London at £2 million per annum;
- acted for a hotel client on the £250 million refinancing of a significant portfolio including the Landmark Hotel, the Royal Lancaster Hotel and other properties;
- advising The Royal Bank of Scotland on a significant development funding relating to a 210,000 sq ft distribution warehouse in Warwickshire;
- acting for a Canadian bank on a C$250 million loan facility relating to assets worldwide, including a UK property worth £50 million with contents of £30 million;
- acting for Africa's largest independent telecoms wholesaler, providing customers with access to a global footprint that covers more than 3,000 cities in 130 countries, on the relocation of its office in London’s West End;
- advising an industrial client on its acquisition of leasehold interests in UK jetties for the generation and onward transportation of liquefied natural gas, including a jetty valued at £50 million with proposal to install 18,000 solar panels;
- advised a hedgefund on its new London office in London's West End at a rent of £1.5 million per annum;
- acting for a Mayfair-based fund manager on the refinancing of the Legoland Hotel, Windsor;
- advising an American Goldman Sachs-backed JV on the acquisition of its offices in Hammersmith, London;
- representing an international airline on the acquisition and, later, their exit of their London office; and
- acting for a private bank on a loan facility relating to a significant portfolio of London residential properties.
Jonathan was recognised by Super Lawyers Magazine, published by Thomson Reuters, as a “Rising Star” within the field of Real Estate (2013 and 2014 editions).
Jonathan’s article, “Caveat Emptor - All Beware”, has been published in the Estates Gazette.
He is a member of the Commercial Real Estate Legal Association (CRELA).
Jonathan joined the Shoosmiths Real Estate Team in July 2015.